Friday, October 18, 2013

Simply Put, I'm Inspired

So I'm a fan of Project Runway. I love that show. I love watching the process as a designer is given a muse, as abstract as it may be, and they come up with a look that blows minds. I am not that creative, but I love fashion. This show gives me life!

Anyway, the last few episodes have really caught my heart by its strings. Alexandria von Bromssen, Project Runway runner-up shared one of her businesses on the previous episode and I fell in love with the idea. She runs a camp, I believe year-round, for kids that allows them to learn to sew to foster their love for creativity, expression, and design. It's an awesome idea! 

Camp Couture - a fashion and sewing school that provides lessons to all ages and all levels in a supportive and creative environment. At Camp Couture, students are taught to express their individuality by designing and sewing their own garment and interior ideas. Instruction is provided in a professional and creative studio environment. 


In the photo above, the camp kids have sewn a map of the US using denim. Creative! When Project Runway showed the kids, their designs, and, most importantly, their excitement for the opportunity, I instantly became inspired. Many questions came to mind as well as many ideas! For Alexandria to take what she loves and is most passionate about and transfer that passion, love, and excitement to kids is AMAZING to me. She definitely became an instant inspirational figure for me.

I have my own ideas of programs or organizations that I would love to create for kids to help them navigate through this thing called life. She definitely gave me a spark that was needed.  


Then there's Dom. Dom Streater, the 24 year old winner of this season's Project Runway, has a way with prints. Her designs are amazing as well as her level of humility. Besides that, she's just the girl next door. She says she grew up poor and before coming to NYC for the show, she says she was working two jobs, unable to find one in the fashion industry. Her hard work and eye for edgy looks have definitely paved the way for her future, however.  She won a prize package worth half a million dollars. What's so inspiring about her? Her humbling personality through it all. Sometimes, that's rare to find. Actually, a lot of times. (Her natural hair is BOMB!)

During the show, Dom took another designer's losing look (left) and transformed it into a winning look (right). I absolutely adore the look. This picture does it no justice, whatsoever.


No comments: