Monday, April 21, 2014

If You Want To Make God Laugh...

Tell Him your plans. God must think that I'm a comedian right now; I bet I have Him in stitches. Let me explain.



I recently saw this on a family member's IG page. I immediately thought of myself. I used to think that I was on that bicycle peddling on to my happiness. Instead, I found myself in that boat in the water in that valley thinking of how to grab hold of that lifeline above. 

I recently quit my job and left New York City. (Cue the gasps.) I did that for a number of reasons, not just one. I wasn't happy in the city (although there were parts that I loved and miss) and I wasn't happy doing my job. Over the last few months, SEVERAL events have taken place that have led me to believe that I must follow my passion, the reason that God placed me in this earth. That purpose is working with the youth. In my previous job, I didn't have that opportunity and it was weighing on me. Also, I needed to resolve some family issues that I won't go into on here. 

When I made the decision to leave the city, I was in a new relationship that was going pretty damn well. But my guy was very supportive and understood my need to follow my dreams. 

Also, there was a school social worker position open in my hometown that I knew I'd be perfect for and it would put me in a great position to do the things that I wanted to do with the youth of my hometown. 

The above details me on the bicycle in the picture. Let's move on to reality-the picture with the valleys and hills and rainy days. 

I didn't get that dream job I wanted. Me and the guy broke up. The familial issues are just horrible and not improving at the rate I'd like. I got a teaching position at the high school, however, I've yet to start and there's only a month and a half remaining in the school year = hardly no money to be made. I don't have a car (I sold mine since I don't need it in NYC.)

But here's the good news. What I see in that picture above is that God doesn't just leave you, and He sets you up to go higher than you thought you could ever go. 

Look at the finish line. The finish in the bottom half is much higher than the finish the person imagined they'd get to. 

In one of the valleys on the bottom half, there's a bridge to get to the other side. Sometimes we just have to work a bit to get to the other side. 

Another valley has a boat on water with a lifeline above to get the person to the other side. My thoughts are: it could've been worse. There could be no boat. There could be no lifeline. But there is. But God. 

Right now, I feel as though I'm in a valley, but I just need to work to get to the other side. I will be in a few uncomfortable situations (judgement and criticism from others as well as running low on funds) however, He's right there with a lifeline. Example: I waited until the last minute to do my taxes because I thought I would be paying as I did last year. Not the case. He gave me a lifeline. 

Also, I believe that sometimes I need to wait on His timing (which is not the easiest thing for me). I see the person in the boat on the water with the lifeline above. The person can't reach it yet but if  s/he waits thru a storm, the rainwater will help that boat rise to the point where that person can reach that line and then be able to get to the other side. Example: the romance didn't work out. It's ok. That guy was good. But the guy that's waiting on the other side is going to be SPECTACULAR! 

Wait on Him. 

I'm trying. I know that I made the right move in leaving NYC. Things aren't going how I thought they would, initially. However, I know that God's just getting me in position to take me to a greater place than I ever thought I could go. 

I'm ready, Lord! I'll wait on you. 

2 comments:

FullnessofLife said...

Well written my friend and very inspirational! You have grown in the faith because you were willing to be molded! The best is yet to come!

Sophia Season said...

What an awesome post. I came to your blog tonight to get inspiration and you delivered just that. Thank you.