Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Gift and a Curse

The Single Woman's 30-Day Blogging Challenge: Day 5

What is the biggest misconception you think people have about single life?

Most people think that having no one is a curse, lonely, and no fun. That is why a lot of people choose to stay in relationships that do nothing but stress them out. Well, that's untrue. As a single woman, I have time to do the things I want to do when I want to do them how I want to do them. The biggest benefit is not having to answer to anyone. (I guess this is where independence is most valued.) Many people complain about not having their own space when in relationships. Well, I have that. I come and go as I please. I have time to accomplish the things that need to be done.

Recently, I was at dinner reconnecting with a friend. At the end of the evening I said, "Well, I have a lot of work to do, so I have to head home." The friend says, "That's why you don't have a man. If you did, you'd be worried about taking care of him and his needs and not getting your work done that is going to take you to another level in life." His words hit me like a ton of bricks. Right now I'm working towards a higher purpose and it'd be just a distraction. Don't get me wrong, having a man and accomplishing career goals are not mutually exclusive; you can have both. However, maybe right now I don't need distractions. 

I'm working towards a bigger goal right now. Although it'd be nice to have support through this time, it's not necessary. 

1 comment:

FullnessofLife said...

It's going to be important to be with someone that have ambitions as well and can go without distractions also.