Thursday, September 19, 2013

My Most Important Relationship

I bet you can't guess to whom I'm referring.....

God. With Him, I have the most important relationship of my life. I love Him, and I know He loves me. It all began when I was 19 years old. I would love to say that it was earlier in my life that I began this relationship, but I can't. I always thought it was uncool to love God as a child and teenager. However, when I went to college, I joined this group called IMPACT. It was a bible study group of college students on the campus of UCF. I loved this group. I can't remember how I was introduced to this group, but I do remember the fun we had in the name of Jesus. The group was composed of mostly African-American men and women. (It was so inspiring to see black men openly displaying their love for God.) Anyhow, we had bible study weekly and outings every other week, including dinners, swimming, movies, and game nights (good, clean fun). A lot of those events were planned by me as it's something I love to do. Anyway, seeing how they would pray without ceasing, maintain faith through tough times, and just declare their love for Him made me want the same thing. So, I gave my life to Him.


Now, have I nurtured that relationship since then? Have I invested like I should have, like I do in my human relationships? Honestly, no. I actually am very ashamed to say so. I feel guilty a lot for always going to Him in a time of need and not just because I want to thank Him....just because. But He's always there. He's seen me through some ROUGH times. Sometimes, I still doubt. You might ask why after all He's done? I don't know. Well, I think I do know, but that's another post in itself.

I do want that ultimate relationship with Him. I want to go to Him in need as well as "just because." I think I'm at a turning point though. I know He doesn't want just part of me; He wants all of me. And He will get it. His will be done.

2 comments:

Blaque said...

:-)

FullnessofLife said...

I dont remember that group (IMPACT)! Its always good to look back to why and how it started and connect with those reasons as an impulse to keep working on a relationship with the Lord. We are not perfect; He knows this. He knows our heart. Enjoy the grace and mercy and pick up where you left off and never look back in regret or guilt.