Saturday, September 28, 2013

What Not to Wear

If I've ever been jealous of anyone before in my life, I'm jealous of the two people in the pic below.


The Fantabulous Duo of Stacy London and Clinton Kelly

They get to dress and style women for a living! How fun is that?! 

You should see some of the women that come through their doors. They have absolutely no style whatsoever. Actually, most of the women that come on the show are dressing to disappear. They almost want to be invisible. They wear sweat pants, tees, and hoodies most of the time. The problem is that this look actually attracts the attention that they didn't want. Ironic, huh?

     
BEFORE (looking like a FRUMPMONSTER)

Her curves look so much better in this AFTER look.


On the other hand, some of the women that appear on the show dress to garner negative attention. They wear the tightest, shortest skirts to the loudest, most outrageous makeup. They're different from the old-fashioned ones who want to disappear; these ladies crave attention and will do just about anything to get it (style wise, that is - get your mind out of the gutter). 


All in all, these women dress this way for a reason. Have you ever heard someone say that they're expressing themselves through the way that they dress? It's so true. You can tell if they're feeling creative and artistic, on top of the world, or just down in the dumps. I'm guilty of it myself. Some days, I just feel eh and it comes across in my outfit. Lucky for me that I have a good wardrobe, and I'll always look fly. (Just kidding!) I do believe, however, that you can tell a lot about how someone feels about themselves by the way that they present themselves. Those frumpy ladies who ALWAYS dress in huge clothing that hides their curves and shape don't feel so great about themselves. They always shed tears when talking to Stacy and Clinton as the duo gets to the bottom of the issue at hand. The funny thing, or not, is that the ladies who dress in little to nothing with the wild makeup begging for attention feel the same way about themselves. Something is lacking, which makes them feel as though they have to overcompensate. Stacy and Clinton usually get to the bottom of those issues as well. It's interesting how these women's think they're coming to New York City in search of a new wardrobe, but instead they're actually in search of their inner confidence. 

BEFORE


AFTER 
(She's wearing her confidence now. Do you see it?)

I think that's the real reason why I envy their jobs. They're not only stylists, but therapists using their own method to boost these women's opinion of themselves and their self-esteem. If you know me, you know that my goal in life is to sprinkle self-esteem on any and every young girl that needs it (so that they don't turn into these frumpmonsters when they get older). Everyone deserves to feel good about themselves and feel like they can accomplish any- and everything they set their minds to. In my opinion, it can begin with the look. 


2 comments:

FullnessofLife said...

Love the show and I agree they are really doing therapy! We recently had 14 single moms go through a 7 week CNA class at the school I work at. I really wanted to add a makeover piece, especially to prepare them for interviews because when we interviewed them we had it all, short shorts, tank tops, large tshirts, only one dressed to impress! Girl, I can see you on OWN with your own show remaking young girls lives! She going to ask you to teach in Africa! Dreams are free...you never know!

BKsFinest1920 said...

Ms. FullnessofLife: First of all, that would've been a great bonus to what those single moms received. It would've provided a more rounded experience, not to take away from what they received, however. I would LOVE to do something like that. Secondly, I keep rereading your comment and becoming more and more inspired and empowered. The best is yet to come, and your words speak life into me (as always). THANK YOU!