Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I Was So Embarrassed Yet I'd Done Nothing To Deserve It

Last week, I visited a school in Florida. As usual, it was the end of the school day. Parents were in the looooong parent pickup line waiting for their students. (By the way, more power to the parents that get to a school 30 minutes before school ends to sit in that long line to pick up their kids. The line usually wraps around the school, and once it starts moving, you're only moving at a snail's pace. More. Power. To. You.) Anyway, it was pouring rain when I arrived to the school. This had become habitual as well. It's sunny one moment, then there's a torrential monsoon the next moment. There was a bit of lightning and thunder as well. (Good thing I had my umbrella that was gifted to me by the principal in a precious post.)

Because of this rain, lightning and thunder, the school is not releasing any of the students. I think there's some Florida law that does not allow students to be released in these conditions. Another option schools have is to allow parents to come in one by one to pick up their child. (Did I mention that the parent pickup car line wrapped around the school?) 

It's been 30 minutes since school has been over and students are still stuck in classrooms. Parents are calling in to the office asking what's going on. The staff explains to each parent that they're priority is keeping the kids safe and are not releasing them until the lightning/thunder subsides. I'm sitting in the office waiting patiently. Here we go. A parent comes in and asks if she can go get her child from class. Stunning me, the receptionist says yes. She goes, gets her daughter, and then walks out the door with her. (You know what's about to happen, right?) Yep. Here comes other parents asking for their kids. The principal comes through and tells them kindly that they can't get their kids. They accept it and go back to their cars. 

The next parent can be heard before she even enters the building. 

Parent: I'm tired of this shit! (Uh oh. She opens the door.) I need my kids!

The principal gives her the same spiel that she gave the other parents. (For some reason, I'm not thinking this is going to go do smoothly with this parent.)

Parent: I don't have time for this; I gotta go to work at 3:00!

Principal doesn't budge. 

Parent: How come that lady was able to get her kids?!

The principal states that a mistake was made, but no kids will be released. 

Parent: Well, Imma stand here til y'all give me my kids. This shit ain't right!"

So she stands there holding the door open letting in the wind and rain. (I didn't appreciate this as I was in the direct line of this crap.)

Office staff oblivious to the showdown that just went down says, "Is someone holding the door open?"

Parent: (Angrily) What did she say about me holding the door open?! What?! 

Office staff: She just asked was someone holding the door open. That's all. You're welcome to come in and wait.  

Parent: Hell nall! I'm not moving til y'all give me my kids! 

The principal says nothing, stands her ground, and finally the angry parent goes on her merry way. 

My point: Did I mention that the angry parent was black? Did I have to, or were you able to come to that conclusion on your own? The other parents were Hispanic and white. I was feeling some type of way being the only other black person in the room. I didn't care what people thought of me as a person, but I couldn't help but think that they were thinking that was typical behavior or expected behavior from my people. It angered me that she was acting so ignorant. I cringed every time she opened her mouth. I wanted to yell at her, "Heifer, they're trying to keep your damn kids safe. Take your a$$ back to your car! Call your job and tell them you're going to be late!" But that would've been stooping to her level, but it seemed that someone needed to speak her language. However, that would only perpetuate the problem, not solve a thing. I was so embarrassed sitting there and all I'd done was sit there. 



3 comments:

adam said...

I don't know if perhaps you mean another emotion besides embarrassment. I can't label an alternative emotion but it would be one that describe your feeling towards this woman as you are a person emancipating yourself from a stereotype of your gender/race while her actions fulfills typical stereotypes. But then again, you could be feeling (insert emotion) as you can empathize somewhat with this woman as you wish for her to move above the stereotype.

Anyway, its probably better you didn't say anything because it takes a lot for someone to not only change certain mannerisms, but understand why and how that change will be beneficial for them? K, hope you like my commenting

BKsFinest1920 said...

Thank you for commenting. You may be right; maybe there is an alternate emotion that I was feeling instead of embarrassment. I know I felt embarrassment, anger (they were trying to help her, not hurt her), and sympathy (it can't feel good to carry around that much anger), maybe empathy (I know where she's coming from).

And, no, I couldn't say anything. I was working. Gotta keep it professional! Otherwise, I would have been just like her.

Blaque said...

Smh!