Tuesday, August 27, 2013

God Puts People in Your Life

Let me tell you about this conversation I had today. I was at a school visiting teachers within our research project. The principal busts in and asks who am I and where am I from. To be honest, she intimidated me a bit. I know right; how can this small-framed Venezuelan woman intimidate this big, black woman?! Well, she had a presence about herself. Confidence. I liked it. Anyway, she asked to see me once I was finished with the teachers.

As the teachers finished, I began to think to myself, "Hmmm....how can I get out of this? Who am I to sit down with this principal, leader of an entire school, about the research project?" I didn't trust myself to hold a simple conversation. I asked the receptionist if she could find out if the principal wanted to meet with me then or if she wanted me to come back later in the week; I was hoping for the latter. Fortunately, that was not the case. Out comes the principal's secretary to take me back to the principal's office.

So, we begin to talk about the project and how much she loves it. Thing is, I felt so important. This woman sees me as an equal. She's picking my brain, trying to know what I know. It felt so good. The conversation continued on to her passion in life and the experiences she had growing up that led her to where she is right now and what keeps her going. We then talked about both our home lives-where we're from and what we had in common. We were chatting like old girlfriends, seriously.

She inspired me through her story, and I told her so. She asked how, so I told her what I want to do with my life and how it was shaped thru the experiences that I've lived thru. She listened intently and gave her two cents on the matter. She respected what I want to do and the changes I want to make in the world.

We ended with her asking that we keep in touch, letting me know when she'll be in NYC and wanting to hookup. Look at the connection that was made thru happenstance! Made. My. Day. 


2 comments:

Sophia Season said...

What a wonderful way to end a conversation that began with so much fear. It is amazing what can cause fear in your life. I am glad that your conversation yeilded such positive results.

Sophia
twentyfiveseasons.com

BKsFinest1920 said...

Thanks for commenting, Sophia! It's the little things and that conversation, while brief, was a big part of my journey that I'm on. :-) Thanks for reading.